Steven J. Litvack
Is It Worth It To Fight My DUI Charge?
According to data compiled by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, there were 33,873 total DUI arrests in Florida in 2019. Florida DUI laws make it illegal for a person to drive or be in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or other controlled substances.
A defendant convicted of a DUI may face severe penalties, including jail time, hefty fines, suspension of their license, and other consequences. The severe nature of these DUI penalties makes fighting your drunk driving allegations definitely worth it.
I am committed to offering comprehensive legal guidance and representation to individuals facing drunk driving charges. As an experienced Florida DUI defense attorney, I will review and investigate the surrounding facts of your case, strategize an effective defense, and dispute the allegations against you in pursuit of a positive outcome.
I will fight aggressively to protect your legal rights and your driving privileges, and ensure that you receive fair treatment in every phase of the legal proceedings. My firm — Steven J. Litvack P.A. — proudly serves clients throughout Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Boynton Beach, Palm Beach County, Deerfield Beach, and Delray Beach, Florida.
Florida DUI Laws
Under Florida law, motorists are prohibited from driving or being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while "under the influence" or with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of 0.08% or greater. Any driver with a BAC level of 0.08% or more will be considered guilty of a "per se" DUI.
Penalties for DUI in Florida
If a person is convicted of DUI in Florida, the potential criminal penalties include:
- First Offense: Punishable by up to six months of jail time, a fine of between $500 and $1,000, and from 180 days to one-year suspension of their license.
- Second Offense: Punishable by up to nine months of jail time, a fine of between $1,000 and $2,000, and from 180 days to one-year suspension of their license.
- Third Offense: Punishable by up to 12 months of jail time, a fine of between $2,000 and $5,000, and from 180 days to one-year suspension of their license.
Other Consequences of a DUI
- Driver's license revocation
- Difficulty getting a job
- Higher auto insurance premiums
- Difficulties in securing housing and loans
- Difficulties in getting public benefits
- Both your professional and personal relationships will be adversely affected
- Scholarship programs may be revoked or denied
Due to the serious nature of the conviction and social ramifications, fighting your drunk driving allegations is always advisable. A skilled DUI defense attorney can evaluate your case and craft a strong defense strategy.
Possible Defenses Against DUI Charges
When facing a DUI charge in Florida, possible defenses include:
- The testing wasn't done in accordance with state DUI laws
- Unlawful stop by the police
- Unlawful arrest — there was no probable cause
- The arresting officer didn't advise you of your rights
- Your driving wasn't impaired by drugs or alcohol
- You were intimidated into taking a field sobriety test
- Some mitigating circumstances falsely inflated your BAC level
- Proper procedure or due diligence were not followed
- Improper calibration of the breath test device
- Urine or blood samples were contaminated or compromised
How a Skilled DUI Defense Attorney Can Help
Due to the serious nature of the possible penalties and consequences of a DUI conviction, fighting your DUI charges is important. Defending yourself against drunk driving allegations without experienced representation can increase your risks of receiving the maximum penalties. When facing DUI charges, you need to retain a highly skilled and aggressive Florida criminal defense attorney to protect your legal rights and help you build your defense.
I have the experience and resources to represent clients in their drunk driving cases. As your attorney, I can review all the surrounding details of your case and help you develop the best defense strategy that will maximize your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome in your situation. I will fight to defend your legal rights, driving privileges, and attempt to keep your record as clean as possible. Having me on your side can make a big difference in your DUI case.
Contact my firm — Steven J. Litvack P.A. — to schedule a one-on-one case evaluation. I can offer you the comprehensive legal guidance and reliable representation you need to make key decisions in your case. I am proud to represent clients across Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Boynton Beach, Palm Beach County, Deerfield Beach, and Delray Beach, Florida.